Southwestern Chicken and Butternut Squash Chowder
- Yield: servings
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4cup chopped scallions ( white parts only)
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1-- fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 3cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 1-- taco seasoning mix
- 3 1/4cups Natural Goodness Chicken broth (26 fl oz)(I prefer Swanson's)
- 1cup water
- 1-- (10 oz) Box frozen Sweet Kernal Corn (not thawed)
- 1can of Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2cups shredded precooked rotessire chicken
- 3tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- -- Salt to taste
- -- Lime wedges
- 1-- bag Texarkana Hot pita chips(prefer Stacy's)
Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook scallions, onion, jalapeno, salt, and pepper, stirring occasionally, until onion is pale golden, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel and cube butternut squash.
Add taco seasoning mix, broth, water, and squash to onion mixture and cover pot, then bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until squash is very tender, 12 to 14 minutes.
Coarsely mash squash in pot with a potato masher. Stir in corn , black beans, and chicken and simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes.
Stir in lime juice, cilantro, and salt to taste. Ladle Soup into six individual soup bowls. Serve with lime wedges and Texarkana Hot Pita Chips. Serves: 6, prep time: 15 minutes, cooking time: 25 minutes