Southwestern Chicken and Black Bean Salad
- Yield 6 servings
Well-seasoned chicken makes this salad special.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 cups fresh orange sections (about 2 oranges)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 head lettuce, torn into pieces
- Combine cumin, chili powder and cayenne in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken, seal bag, and shake to coat chicken with seasoning mixture.
- In a skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook chicken over medium heat until done, about 10 minutes; let cool. Spoon chicken into a large bowl and add orange sections, Monterey Jack, onions, black beans and cilantro, mixing gently but thoroughly. In another bowl, mix lime juice, orange juice, oil, salt and pepper, and garlic. Pour over chicken mixture, tossing gently to coat. Serve over lettuce on a serving platter.