Southwest Chimayo Chile Burgers
- Yield: 8 servings
- Chipotle mayonnaise:
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 1tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1tablespoon prepared mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1cup vegetable oil
- 4 Anaheim peppers
- 3 1/2pounds ground beef
- 2teaspoons chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 2cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
- 8 sandwich buns
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced avocado
To prepare the mayonnaise:
- Combine the peppers, egg yolk, vinegar, mustard, lemon juice and salt in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add the vegetable oil very gradually, processing constantly until thickened and smooth.
To prepare the burgers:
- Roast the peppers over hot coals or broil until the skins are blackened. Cool and peel the peppers. Split the peppers lengthwise, discarding the seeds.
- Divide the ground beef into 16 portions and shape into patties. Season with the chili powder, salt and pepper; brush with the olive oil.
- Place a pepper half on 8 of the patties and top each with 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese. Top with the remaining patties and press the edges firmly to seal.
- Grill the burgers until done to taste. Serve on the buns with the mayonnaise and garnish with the tomato, red onion and avocado.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Plano, Lone Star to Five Star, Culinary Creations for Every Occasion (The Junior League of Plano, 2004)