Southern Sweet Chocolate
- Yield 9 servings
A crunchy, coconut, chocolate cake, topped with whipped cream
"This is always a favorite with our family, especially at holiday times. I find the texture is unique, as it is not a pudding or a cake."
- 1 (4-ounce) bar German sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Whipped cream or whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Melt chocolate and butter in saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat. Add evaporated milk. Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla and add to chocolate mixture. Mix coconut and pecans in separate bowl. Pour chocolate mixture into 8-inch square pan. Sprinkle with coconut and pecan mixture. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 55 minutes. Cool in refrigerator. When ready to serve, top with whipped cream or whipped topping. Serves 9.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: This dessert holds together in a square but is on the gooey side. Fresh berries and whipped cream on top round out the flavor and texture.
Recipe by Arletta Slocum, Venice, Fla.