Southern-Style Vegetable Casserole
- Yield: 6 servings
You can make your own cream sauce using 2 percent milk instead of using the canned soup.
- 1small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2cups chopped broccoli
- 2cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 (11-ounce) can white or yellow corn, drained
- 1/2cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) container fat free sour cream
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup
- 2cups melted butter, margarin or soy margarine
- 2cups crushed Ritz crackers or saltines
- 1tablespoon paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a nonreactive large bowl, combine onions, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, corn, cheese, sour cream and canned soup. Mix well and spoon into a 2-quart casserole.
- In another small bowl, combine butter, crackers, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over casserole and bake, uncovered, 30 minutes until golden brown and crusty.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 327
- Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 8mg
- Sodium 719mg
- Carbohydrate 40g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugars 7g
- Protein 10g