Southern Star’s Banana Pudding
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3cups milk
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1cup sugar
- 3tablespoons cornstarch
- 3tablespoons water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4large ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2package (12 ounce) vanilla wafers
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1/2teaspoon cream of tartar
- Combine the milk, butter and 1 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan and mix well. Cook until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is simmering, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the cornstarch into the water in a small bowl. Stir into the milk mixture. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Whisk the egg yolks lightly in a bowl. Add about 1 cup of the hot mixture 2 tablespoonfuls at a time to the egg yolks. Stir the egg yolks into the hot mixture. Remove from the heat. Stir in the vanilla.
- Alternate layers of the bananas, vanilla wafers and custard in a greased 2-quart baking dish until all of the ingredients are used, ending with the custard.
- Beat the egg whites at high speed in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add 3/4 cup sugar and the cream of tartar gradually, beating constantly until stiff peaks form.
- Dollop the meringue over the top of the pudding and spread evenly, sealing the meringue to the edges.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until light brown.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Chattanooga, Seasoned to Taste, Savoring the Scenic City (Junior League of Chattanooga 2011)