Southern Roast Turkey with Bourbon Peach Glaze
- Yield: 20 servings
- 1-- (15-pound) whole turkey, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-- medium orange, cut in wedges
- 1/2cup peach preserves
- 2tablespoons bourbon
- 2teaspoons orange liqueur or orange juice
- -- Pickled peaches, for garnish
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for gravy. Blot turkey dry with clean paper towels.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper in the cavities of the bird. Insert orange wedges into both cavities.
- Fold neck skin and fasten to the back with skewers. Fold the wings under the back of the turkey. Return legs to tucked position.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (no more than 2 1/2-inches deep) roasting pan. Insert an oven-safe thermometer into thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not touch the bone.
- Roast turkey in a preheated 325F oven about 3 3/4 hours. Baste with the pan juices.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, over low heat, combine preserves, bourbon and orange liquid. Cook until preserves are melted.
- During the last 30 minutes of roasting time, baste the bird with the Bourbon-Peach glaze. Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 180F in the thigh and 170F in the breast.
- Remove turkey from the oven, remove the orange wedges and allow the bird to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving. 9. Place on a warm large platter and garnish with pickled peaches.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 355
- Fat 16g
- Cholesterol 132mg
- Sodium 258mg
- Carbohydrate 5g
- Protein 45g