Southern Peanut Soup
- Yield servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3-4 cups hot chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (no sugar added)
- Juice of 1/2 - 1 lime (to taste)
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium low heat, add onions, celery and carrots and cook for about 10 minutes, until onions become translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Whisk flour into the onion mixture, cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the hot chicken stock.
- Turn the heat up to medium. While stirring, cook 5 minutes until moderately thickened. Next, whisk in the heavy cream and peanut butter, heat the soup through but do not bring to a boil. Stir in the lime juice.
- Serve with optional toppings such as chopped toasted peanuts, scallions, cilantro, cayenne or hot sauce. This soup is also delicious served chilled.
—Recipe courtesy of Peanutbutterlovers.com