Easy Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Yield 12 to 15 servings
This dish is a staple on the Southern holiday dinner table.
- 6 cups crumbled cornbread
- 4 1/2 cups dry white bread crumbs
- 8 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons sage
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 8 eggs, beaten
- Combine the cornbread and white bread in a bowl and mix well. Stir in the broth, butter, onion, celery, sage, sugar, salt and pepper. Add eggs and mix well. Add additional broth if mixture appears dry. Spoon into a buttered baking dish. Bake at 400F for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Mother’s Finest Catering’s Mother’s Finest: Southern Cooking Make Easy (2002).