Southern Baked Beans in a New Light
- Yield 6 servings
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can vegetarian baked beans, drained
- 1/4 cup low-sodium ketchup
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a small baking dish with nonstick spray. Cook the bacon in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, 3 – 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Drain off and discard the fat from the skillet and set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the bacon, beans, ketchup, maple syrup, barbecue sauce, yellow mustard, and dry mustard.
- Spoon the bean mixture into the baking dish. Cover loosely with foil and bake until the edges are bubbly and the filling is hot, about 25 minutes.
Recipe by Paula Deen.