- Yield 12 servings
Pickled okra adds a southern touch to this traditional Italian starter.
- 1 (12 ounce) jar pickled okra, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh green beans, blanched and drained
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olive halves
- 1/4 cup pitted green olive halves
- 1/4 cup pimento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper
- Combine the okra, green beans and olives in a 1-quart resealable plastic bag.
- Whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, garlic, salt and red pepper in a bowl.
- Pour the lemon juice mixture over the okra mixture and seal tightly. Turn to coat.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour, turning every 15 minutes. Drain before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., River Road Recipes IV: Warm Welcomes, Entertaining Menus from Our Homes to Yours (the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., 2004)