Asian Skewered Chicken Salad
- Yield 4 servings
- Ginger Lime Marinade
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced or grated peeled ginger root
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons Asian chili garlic sauce
- Chicken and Salad
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup coarsely shredded or matchstick pieces carrots
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, each halved
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 -- English cucumber, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 16 -- lime wedges
- 2 cups cooked black or jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped spicy roasted peanuts
In small bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients.
For chicken, place chicken in sealable plastic storage bag. Add 1/2
cup of marinade; seal top and turn bag to coat. Marinate for 30
Meanwhile for dressing, whisk brown sugar into marinade remaining in
bowl. For salad, in large bowl combine greens, carrots, tomatoes,
pineapple, cucumber, radishes, basil and mint.
Heat stovetop ridged grill pan over medium heat or preheat broiler.
Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Thread chicken onto eight bamboo
skewers that have been soaked in water, alternating with lime wedges
and leaving 1/4 inch space between each piece. Grill or broil on rack
of broiler pan for 5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
To serve, pour half of dressing over salad; toss to mix and coat.
Arrange salad on serving plate(s). Spoon rice in center of salad.
Arrange chicken skewers over salad; sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
Drizzle with remaining dressing. Garnish with basil sprigs, if
desired. Makes 4 servings.