Asian Skewered Chicken Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- Ginger Lime Marinade
- 1tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1/2cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4cup vegetable oil
- 1tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1tablespoon minced or grated peeled ginger root
- 2teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2teaspoons Asian chili garlic sauce
- Chicken and Salad
- 1 1/4pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 3tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 4cups mixed greens
- 1cup coarsely shredded or matchstick pieces carrots
- 1cup grape or cherry tomatoes, each halved
- 1cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2-- English cucumber, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 1/2cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 16-- lime wedges
- 2cups cooked black or jasmine rice
- 1/2cup coarsely chopped spicy roasted peanuts
In small bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients.
For chicken, place chicken in sealable plastic storage bag. Add 1/2
cup of marinade; seal top and turn bag to coat. Marinate for 30
Meanwhile for dressing, whisk brown sugar into marinade remaining in
bowl. For salad, in large bowl combine greens, carrots, tomatoes,
pineapple, cucumber, radishes, basil and mint.
Heat stovetop ridged grill pan over medium heat or preheat broiler.
Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Thread chicken onto eight bamboo
skewers that have been soaked in water, alternating with lime wedges
and leaving 1/4 inch space between each piece. Grill or broil on rack
of broiler pan for 5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
To serve, pour half of dressing over salad; toss to mix and coat.
Arrange salad on serving plate(s). Spoon rice in center of salad.
Arrange chicken skewers over salad; sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
Drizzle with remaining dressing. Garnish with basil sprigs, if
desired. Makes 4 servings.