Saigon Chicken with Peanut Slaw
- Yield 4 servings
- 4 -- boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (Vietnamese)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided use
- 3 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (Vietnamese), divided use
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for slaw
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for slaw
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 package cole slaw mix (16 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- -- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Put canola oil, lime juice, fish sauce, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce, garlic, lime peel, salt and pepper in blender container; process until well combined. Reserve 1/2 cup for dipping sauce. Pour rest into large zipper bag for marinade.
Pound chicken breasts between plastic sheets to 1/4". Add chicken to marinade and seal the bag. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to 1 hour.
In a large bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, peanut butter, peanut oil, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce. Add the cole slaw mix and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Preheat nonstick grill pan over medium (not hot) heat for 2-3 minutes, until very hot. Remove chicken from marinade, pat with paper towels; discard the marinade. Cook the chicken 3-4 minutes per side or until juices run clear.
Distribute slaw equally over 4 plates; sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts. Divide dipping sauce into 4 small dishes. Slice each breast into strips and place on top of slaw. Serve each plate with a dish of sauce, garnished with fresh cilantro.