South Florida Yellow Rice
- Yield 4 servings
Aromatic basmati or jasmine rice takes on a brilliant hue with the addition of turmeric.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Heat oil in a 2 1/2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute with garlic and turmeric 1 minute. Add rice and stir well to coat with oil. Add hot water or broth, cover, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.