- Yield: 10 servings
"A childhood mispronunciation of "scalloped" by my sister Roxie has lent its name to this family favorite."
- 3 (14 3/4-ounce) cans cream-styled corn
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3large eggs, beaten
- 1tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1small onion, chopped
- 1teaspoon Tabasco (optional)
- 2 (20-ounce) cans oysters or chopped clams
- 2cups coarsely ground whole wheat crackers
- 1/4pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Coarse ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish. Combine the corn, soup, eggs, garlic, onion, and Tabasco, and mix well. Stir in the oysters and crackers. Spoon all into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the bacon evenly over the top. Season with the pepper. Bake for 1 hour, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Ivan Kershner, Salem, S.C.