Sour Strawberry Cobbler
- Yield: servings
- 2pints thinly sliced strawberries
- 1cup oat flour
- 3tablespoons granulated stevia extract, or to taste
- 4tablespoons agave nectar
- Grated zest of 1 lime and juice of 3 limes
- 1cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2cup almond milk
- To make the filling: In a large bowl, combine the strawberries with 1/2 cup oat flour, sweetener, 1 T agave nectar, and lime zest and juice.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 2-quart baking dish.
- To make the topping: In a large bowl, using your fingertips, combine the rolled oats, 1/2 cup oat flour, baking powder, sweetener, cinnamon, and butter. Add the almond milk and 3 T agave nectar and continue mixing with your fingertips until a rough dough forms.
- Pour the filling into the prepared baking dish and spoon on the topping. Transfer the baking dish to the oven and bake the cobbler until golden brown and bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes.
- A cool chef’s trick to try if you have time: I like to freeze half the sliced strawberries overnight, then stir them into the fruit mixture just before baking; I think it brings out even more of their sweetness.
Reprinted with permission from The Sweet Life: Diabetes Without Boundaries by Sam Talbot, 2011, Rodale.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 243
- Fat 13
- Saturated Fat 7
- Cholesterol 31
- Sodium 195
- Carbohydrate 29
- Fiber 4
- Protein 4