Sour Cream Raisin Bars
- Yield 36 servings
"When I serve cookies at church, everyone asks for Sour Cream Raisin Bars. And a friend asks me to make a pan of these bars for her for Christmas. So I've made a lot of them!"
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Combine raisins and water in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat 10 minutes; drain well and set aside to cool.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, oats, flour and soda in a medium bowl; mix well. Press half the mixture (about 2 cups) into the bottom of pan to form a crust. Bake 7 minutes, until partially cooked and slightly set.
- Combine egg yolks, granulated sugar, sour cream, cornstarch and cinnamon in a medium saucepan and stir until cornstarch is dissolved. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and resembles pudding, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in the raisins and vanilla.
- Pour onto crust and crumble remaining oat mixture evenly over top. Bake 25 minutes, or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
Recipe by Elsie Probasco, Bartley, Neb.