Sour Cream Nut Rolls
- Yield 60 servings
"I make this nut roll recipe for Easter and Christmas. The recipe was given to me by a long-time friend, who got it from her mother."
- 2 packages dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup luke warm milk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds walnuts, ground
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- To make pastry, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Mix flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or 2 knives. Add yeast mixture, egg yolks and sour cream. Knead slightly until smooth. Form into a large ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To make filling, combine butter and milk in a small saucepan. Heat until butter melts.
- Combine ground walnuts and sugar. Stir in butter mixture and vanilla. Mix well.
- Divide dough into 5 equal balls. Lightly sprinkle flour over large flat surface. With a rolling pin, roll out each ball into a large rectangle, about 10-by-12-by-1/8 inch.
- Spread filling down the middle of each rectangle. Roll dough and pinch seams and ends. Transfer rolls to baking sheet and bake 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. To serve, slice into 2-inch slices. Yield: 5 rolls.
Recipe by Margaret Kopach, Charleroi, Pa.