Chicken and Artichoke Soup
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- 4cups chicken broth
- 3 (8-ounce) packages frozen artichokes, thawed and quartered
- 1cup chopped scallions, plus more for garnish
- 1teaspoon dried thyme, or
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- Old Bay seasoning
- 4tablespoons butter
- 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 1pound skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4cups heavy cream
- Cream sherry
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Combine the broth, artichokes, scallions, thyme, and Old Bay to taste in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and whisk in the flour, stirring constantly over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes to make a light roux (see page 112), then add the roux to the soup pot gradually, stirring as you go. Add the chicken and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, until cooked through.
- Add the cream, stir, and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
- Reduce the heat, add sherry to taste, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with the parsley and additional scallions. Serve hot.
Recipe from Soup Night: Recipes for Creating Community Around a Pot of Soup (2013, Storey Publishing)