Black Bean and Sausage Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 8ounces chorizo sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2cups cooked black beans or a 15 oz can
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Remove the chorizo from the cases and add it in chunks to the pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Cook the chorizo until just starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a bowl and cover to keep moist.
- Using the same pan and adding a little more oil if necessary, add the garlic and cook until lightly browned, then add the onion and scallions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and oregano, reduce the heat to low, and continue cooking until all the ingredients are softened, about 2 minutes.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add the stock, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. Add the beans, chorizo, and any juices that have accumulated in the bowl and bring to a boil again; immediately reduce the heat to a simmer, taste, and adjust the seasoning.
- Partially cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes to meld the flavors. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.
Recipe From My Rio de Janeiro: A Cookbook by Leticia Moreinos Schwartz (2013, Kyle Books)