Sopaipillas with Honey Ice Cream
- Yield 6 servings
This is an easy version of a Mexican doughnut made with flour tortillas, similar to a Louisiana beignet.
- 6 small flour tortillas
- Peanut oil for frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Cut the flour tortillas into quarters or sixths. Heat the peanut oil in a deep-fat fryer to 370 to 400 degrees. Fry the tortilla quarters in batches in the hot oil until brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Sprinkle the tortilla quarters with the cinnamon mixture.
- Combine the ice cream, honey and lemon zest in a chilled mixing bowl and beat until blended. Return the honey ice cream to the freezer, if desired, for a firmer consistency. Serve the sopaipillas with the ice cream.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., River Road Recipes IV: Warm Welcomes, Entertaining Menus from Our Homes to Yours (the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., 2004)