Sonoran Sunrise Bake
- Yield: 14 servings
"Our sons have requested this dish for breakfast or brunch for more than 20 years, especially during the holidays. I like it because I can prepare it at night and bake it early in the morning."
- 1pound bacon
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1/2cup chopped onions
- 3tablespoons chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 7 thick bread slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2cups shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2teaspoon chili powder
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the bacon and cook until crisp, turning frequently. Drain on paper towels and discard drippings. Repeat with remaining bacon. Crumble.
- Heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in roasted peppers and chilies. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch glass baking pan. Arrange bread cubes in the bottom of pan. Sprinkle bacon and cheeses over bread cubes.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl until well beaten. Add milk and chili powder; mix well. Stir in onion mixture. Pour evenly over top of casserole. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Remove casserole from the refrigerator and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300F. Remove plastic wrap and bake 60 to 70 minutes, until center is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Mary Shivers, Ada, Okla.