Sole Fillets with Pecan-Oat Crust
- Yield 4 servings
This wholesome combination of pecans and oats forms a crisp, delicious golden coating for fish that can be assembled in just a few minutes.
- 2/3 cup Georgia pecan halves
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -- egg whites
- 1 pound sole or flounder fillets
- 4 to 6 teaspoons vegetable oil
- In a food processor or blender, combine the pecans, oats, cornmeal and salt. Process to form a medium coarse meal, with bits of pecan no large than a grain of rice. Spread the mixture on a flat plate.
- Beat the egg whites in a soup plate or shallow bowl until foamy. Pat fillets dry. One at a time, dip each fillet in egg white, then in the pecan mixture, pressing lightly to coat evenly on all sides.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add as many of the fillets as will fit without crowding. Cook until golden brown and just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining fillets, adding more oil as necessary.