Soft Ginger Cookies
- Yield 5 dozen
Moist and spicy ginger cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil or 3/4 cup butter or margarine softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 -- eggs
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- -- Granulated sugar for coating
- In large mixing bowl, beat oil or butter, sugar, eggs and molasses.
- Sift dry ingredients and add to molasses mixture until blended. Refrigerate dough for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Form dough into balls, using 1 heaping teaspoonful for each ball. Roll each ball in granulated sugar.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are puffed and tops are cracked. Do not overbake. Cookies will be puffy when removed from oven, but will flatten as they cool. Cool on rack.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Pasadena’s California Sizzles (Junior League of Pasadena, Inc., 1992).