Soft Ginger Cookies
- Yield: 5 dozen
- 1 1/2cups vegetable oil or 3/4 cup butter or margarine softened
- 2cups sugar
- 2-- eggs
- 1/2cup light molasses
- 4cups flour
- 4teaspoons salt
- 1tablespoon ginger
- 2 1/4teaspoons cinnamon
- -- Granulated sugar for coating
- In large mixing bowl, beat oil or butter, sugar, eggs and molasses.
- Sift dry ingredients and add to molasses mixture until blended. Refrigerate dough for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Form dough into balls, using 1 heaping teaspoonful for each ball. Roll each ball in granulated sugar.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are puffed and tops are cracked. Do not overbake. Cookies will be puffy when removed from oven, but will flatten as they cool. Cool on rack.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Pasadena’s California Sizzles (Junior League of Pasadena, Inc., 1992).