Lemony Snow Pudding
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
This is an especially refreshing, light dessert.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 egg whites
- Custard Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine first three ingredients in saucepan. Cook just until boiling, stirring constantly. Blend in juice and rind. Place pan in cold water; cool until mixture mounds when dropped from a spoon. (Add ice cubes to water to speed this step.)
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Slowly blend gelatin mixture into beaten egg whites, using rotary beater. When blended, stir mixture with rubber spatula until it holds its shape. Spoon into mold or individual dessert dishes. Chill until firm.
- Scald milk in top of double boiler. In small bowl, beat egg yolks and whole egg. Blend in sugar and salt. Gradually stir in scalded milk. Return to double boiler; cook over simmering water, stirring constantly. Remove from heat when custard coats spoon. Stir in vanilla. Chill.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Fort Lauderdale’s Sunny Side Up (Fort Lauderdale, Fl., 1980).