Snow Day Vegetable Soup
- Yield 8 servings
"This recipe has been in the family for years. My husband and I have always believed in a good hearty soup for a cold, snowy day."
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 3 large white potatoes, fresh or frozen, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons basil
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- Garlic salt
- 3 1/2 quarts chicken broth of water
- 2 1/2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup green beans, fresh or frozen
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven and add celery, onions, green onions, garlic, potatoes and carrots; saute until slightly tender. Add parsley, thyme, basil, bay leaves and stir to combine. Season with garlic salt. Add chicken broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Add green peas, corn and green beans. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaves. Serve with crackers and garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Recipe by Joann Simon, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.