- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1tablespoon ground ginger
- 1teaspoon ground star anise*
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 2tablespoons honey
- 1large egg
- 1/2cup finely chopped crystallized ginger (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2cup Demerara sugar, for rolling
- Sanding sugar for decorating
blog comments powered by
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together first 5 ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine the butter and sugars in a medium bowl; cream together until light and fluffy. Add honey, beat to combine. Add egg, beat to combine. Add chopped ginger; mix, and then spoon in dry ingredients and mix just to combine. Cover with wax paper and chill for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Place the Demerara in a shallow dish. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls, rolling between the palms of your hands to make them even. Roll dough balls in sugar, and place 3 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake until the tops are evenly browned and edges appear firm, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to cooling racks to cool completely. Decorate cooled cookies with sanding sugar is desired.
*Ground star anise can be found in well-stocked supermarkets and specialty stores.