Snap Peas, Asparagus and Zucchini Sauté
- Yield 4 servings
Simple and green, this vegetarian saute is perfect in the spring and summer months.
This dish is so simple, it’s almost a surprise to discover how good it tastes: delicate, fragrant, and fresh. Although I prefer eating with the seasons, you can find all these ingredients year-round ... It makes an ideal side dish to practically any entree. —Marea Goodman
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh sugar snap peas
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil, cut into thin ribbons
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the shallot, stirring frequently, until it is fragrant and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the peas and asparagus and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Turn off heat and stir in the basil. Add the lemon juice, if using, and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Recipe from Straight from the Earth by Myra Goodman and Marea Goodman (Chronicle Books, 2014)