Salmon, Radish and Apple Open-Faced Sandwich
- Yield 12 servings
A Scandinavian-inspired sandwich with smoked salmon, fresh dill, green apple and radish on hearty rye bread.
- 4-6 slices rye bread
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 small bunch radishes
- 1 -- lemon
- -- Fresh dill
- 1/2 cup ricotta, drained
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- -- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For appetizers, slice the rye bread into thirds. For a more substantial serving, slice the bread in half.
- First, combine the ricotta, horseradish and lemon juice and mix together with a fork. Add a little salt to taste if needed.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, very thinly slice the apples, radishes and lemon.
- Spread a generous layer of the ricotta on the bread. Add one slice apple, followed by radish, salmon, and then lemon. (You can eat the lemon!) Crack some black pepper over the sandwich and top with a sprig of dill. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Kimberley Hasselbrink a food photographer and blogger based in San Francisco, CA. You can find more of her work at http://theyearinfood.com