Smothered Round Steak
- Yield: 6 servings
- 3pounds lean, boneless top round steak, trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1tablespoon minced garlic
- 2cups canned beef broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Season steak and dredge through flour. Shake of any excess.
- Brown steak on medium heat 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Remove steak and set aside.
- Add onion and pepper to skillet and cook for 5 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally.
- Combine with remaining ingredients and allow to boil. Return steak to skillet.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir occasionally. Steak should be very tender.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 353
- Fat 8g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 127mg
- Sodium 806mg
- Carbohydrate 14g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 5g