Smothered Round Steak
- Yield 6 servings
This is a great slow cooker recipe that turns out lots of creamy gravy to serve with mashed potatoes, pasta or rice.
- 3 pounds lean, boneless top round steak, trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups canned beef broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Season steak and dredge through flour. Shake of any excess.
- Brown steak on medium heat 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Remove steak and set aside.
- Add onion and pepper to skillet and cook for 5 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally.
- Combine with remaining ingredients and allow to boil. Return steak to skillet.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir occasionally. Steak should be very tender.