Chicken Meatball PoBoys
- Yield 6 servings
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 -- shallot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 -- egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 -- yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 -- red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 -- green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 6 -- PoBoy buns
- 6 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 12 -- thin slices Creole tomatoes
- 6 slices provolone cheese
In a large food processor, combine the chicken thighs, shallot, garlic, chopped red bell pepper, and chopped celery. Process until finely chopped and well combined.
Pour the chicken mixture into a large bowl and add the bread crumbs, egg, parsley, salt, pepper and cayenne. Use hands to gently combine and to shape into 18 meatballs.
Add the vegetable oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides approximately 5 – 7 minutes. Using a spoon, remove the meatballs to a covered casserole and set aside.
Add the flour to the skillet and brown, stirring continuously, to make a dark brown roux. Add the sliced onions and Creole seasonings and stir for 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper. Add the meatballs, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Split and lightly toast the PoBoy buns. On each bun, spread the Creole mustard on the top side and mayonnaise on the bottom side. On top of the mayonnaise, spread 1/2 cup lettuce, 2 slices Creole tomatoes, three meatballs, a slice provolone cheese and 1/2 cup smothered onions and peppers. Serve immediately.