Chicken Meatball PoBoys
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1-- shallot, chopped
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2cup chopped celery
- 1/2cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1-- egg, beaten
- 2tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4cup vegetable oil
- 1/4cup flour
- 3-- yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2cups chicken broth
- 1-- red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1-- green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 6-- PoBoy buns
- 6tablespoons Creole mustard
- 6tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3cups shredded lettuce
- 12-- thin slices Creole tomatoes
- 6slices provolone cheese
In a large food processor, combine the chicken thighs, shallot, garlic, chopped red bell pepper, and chopped celery. Process until finely chopped and well combined.
Pour the chicken mixture into a large bowl and add the bread crumbs, egg, parsley, salt, pepper and cayenne. Use hands to gently combine and to shape into 18 meatballs.
Add the vegetable oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides approximately 5 – 7 minutes. Using a spoon, remove the meatballs to a covered casserole and set aside.
Add the flour to the skillet and brown, stirring continuously, to make a dark brown roux. Add the sliced onions and Creole seasonings and stir for 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper. Add the meatballs, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Split and lightly toast the PoBoy buns. On each bun, spread the Creole mustard on the top side and mayonnaise on the bottom side. On top of the mayonnaise, spread 1/2 cup lettuce, 2 slices Creole tomatoes, three meatballs, a slice provolone cheese and 1/2 cup smothered onions and peppers. Serve immediately.