Smoky Veggie Skewers
- Yield: 4 servings
The smoky butter is also luscious on grilled corn.
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3large garlic cloves, cut into halves
- 1teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 3/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 2medium zucchini, cut in 1/2-inch rounds
- 2medium yellow squash, cut in 1/2-inch rounds
- 12 (8-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water at least 30 minutes
- Olive oil
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic cloves, cut side-down, and let cook together, swirling the pan often, until fragrant, garlic is lightly golden, and butter is bubbling but not colored. Remove from heat, discard garlic, and stir in smoked paprika and salt. Set aside.
- Arrange zucchini and yellow squash on skewers, 3 to a skewer, cut sides-up, and alternating between the two.
- Prepare a grill or heat a grill pan to medium-high. Brush skewers with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill skewers 3 minutes per side, or until just tender and nicely charred. Transfer to a platter, and brush with the smoked paprika butter.