Smoky Mac and Cheese
- Yield: 6 servings
Parmesan-spiked panko crumbs add a crunchy finish, and individual ramekins mean “Yea! All mine!”
- Olive oil for brushing ramekins
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2cup panko breakcrumbs
- 2tablespoons plus 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8ounces cavatappi pasta
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoons dry mustard
- 2cups whole milk
- 3/4teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4ounces shredded smoked Gouda (about 1 cup)
- 3ounces shredded sharp white Cheddar (about ¾ cup)
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly oil 6 (1-cup) ramekins, and set on a baking sheet. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and combine with panko. Stir in 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, undercooking by 2 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and mustard; whisk 2 minutes. Add milk, whisking to combine. Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil. Simmer, still whisking, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper and remove from heat; stir in Gouda until fully combined, then stir in Cheddar and remaining ¼ cup Parmesan.
- Drain tomatoes in a strainer. Drain pasta and return to pot. Add tomatoes and pour in sauce. Stir to blend. Transfer to ramekins. Sprinkle panko mixture over tops. Bake about 20 minutes, until golden and cheese is bubbling.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 446
- Fat 23g
- Cholesterol 63mg
- Sodium 774mg
- Carbohydrate 40g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 19g