Smoky Eggplant with Pine Nuts
- Yield: 8 servings
Substitute 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/2 teaspoon table salt for 1 teaspoon of smoked salt if desired. Sprinkle dip with extra pine nuts and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
- 2 (1-pound) eggplants, peeled
- 1/4cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1teaspoon smoked salt
- 1teaspoon finely minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (plus more for finishing)
- 1/4 to 1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut eggplants into halves lengthwise. Place cut sides down on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake about 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Cut roasted eggplant into chunks; place in food processor with all ingredients. Process until smooth. Makes 2 1/2 cups
Recipe adapted from Ana Sortun’s Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean (Harper Collins, 2006).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 120
- Fat 10g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 370mg
- Carbohydrate 8g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 3g