Smoky Eggplant with Pine Nuts
- Yield 8 servings
A creamy, fiber-rich dish using summer eggplants.
Substitute 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/2 teaspoon table salt for 1 teaspoon of smoked salt if desired. Sprinkle dip with extra pine nuts and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
- 2 (1-pound) eggplants, peeled
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon smoked salt
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (plus more for finishing)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut eggplants into halves lengthwise. Place cut sides down on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake about 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Cut roasted eggplant into chunks; place in food processor with all ingredients. Process until smooth. Makes 2 1/2 cups
Recipe adapted from Ana Sortun’s Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean (Harper Collins, 2006).