Smoky Eggplant and Chickpea Spread
- Yield 18 servings
This eggplant spread is great with crackers or vegetable sticks.
- 1 (1 1/2- to 2-pound) eggplant
- 1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup tahini, stirred well
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fresh chili paste
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut eggplant into halves lengthwise. Place cut sides down on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake about 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Cut eggplant into chunks; place in a food processor. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth. If too thick, add water, until mixture reaches desired consistency. Makes 4 1/2 cups.
Reprinted with permission from The Eat-Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook by Tosca Reno (Robert Kennedy Publishing).