Smoky Chickpeas with Spinach, Tomato and Cheese
- Yield 4 servings
Reminiscent of a Spanish tapas, these chickpeas star smoked.
You can serve this dish as is or over rice, orzo or couscous.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Spanish onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups roasted, cubed eggplant*
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can chopped imported Italian tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach or 1 cup thawed frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup crumbled manchego cheese
- Heat oil in large nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and smoked paprika and saute 1 minute to soften the onions. Add chickpeas, tomatoes and bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cheese and cook until heated through and cheese is melted.
Note: To roast eggplant: Preheat oven to 375F. Dice 1 small unpeeled eggplant into 1-inch cubes. Combine with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Spread on a baking pan with sides lined with foil or parchment paper and bake 30 minutes until golden brown and tender. This can be done up to 2 days prior to assembling recipe.