Smoky Chickpeas with Spinach, Eggplant, Tomato and Manchego Cheese
- Yield 4 servings
Based on a traditional Spanish tapas dish, this vegetarian entrée stars roasted eggplant and chickpeas.
Smoked paprika was once obscure, but can now be found almost everywhere. You can serve this dish as is or over rice, orzo or couscous. Manchego cheese can be found in most cheese sections. You may use parmesan if you can't find Manchego.
- Roasted Eggplant:
- 1 small eggplant, unpeeled, diced in 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To complete:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Spanish onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon smoke paprika
- 2 cups roasted, cubed eggplant
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can chopped Imported Italian tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach (or) 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup crumbled Manchego cheese
- To make roasted eggplant: Preheat oven to 375F.
- Toss together eggplant, olive oil, salt and pepper in large bowl. Spread on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper and bake 30 minutes until golden brown and tender. This can be done up to 2 days prior to assembling recipe. Makes about 2 cups.
- To complete: Heat oil in large nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and smoked paprika and saute for 1 minute to soften onions. Add roasted eggplant chunks, chickpeas, tomatoes and bring to a simmer, cook for 5 minutes, add the spinach and cheese.