Cedar Chicken Gyros with Basil-Lemon Sauce
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 4tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3-- boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, 5 to 6 ounces each
- -- Basil Lemon Sauce
- 3/4cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4cup light mayonnaise
- 1 1/2cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2cups chicken broth
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 4medium whole wheat pita breads, cut in half
- 1cup diced tomato
- 1cup diced English cucumber
- 1cup baby arugula leaves
- 1/2-- red onion, thinly sliced
- -- Basil and lemon, for garnish
Soak a large food-safe (untreated) cedar plank in water for 40 to 60 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together the oregano, pepper, rosemary, 3 Tablespoons olive oil and lemon juice until blended. Place in a large food-safe plastic bag along with the chicken breast halves and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes.
To make the basil-lemon sauce, place the yogurt, mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice, lemon zest and olive oil in a blender and puree until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
Remove plank from water, discarding water. Place chicken broth and plank in a roasting pan large enough to hold the plank. Rub 1 Tablespoon olive oil onto the top of the plank. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Sprinkle chicken with salt. Place chicken on the plank and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. During the last few minutes of chicken cooking, wrap pita halves in foil and bake until warmed through.
To serve, thinly slice the chicken. Spread some of the sauce inside the pitas. Fill pitas with equal amounts of the tomato, cucumber, arugula, onion and chicken. Arrange on a platter and garnish with basil and lemon. Serve remaining sauce alongside.
Makes 4 servings