Smoky Chestnut and Parsnip Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
Lapsang-Souchong is a smoked tea with a distinctive smoky oak flavor.
- 1tablespoon walnut or canola oil
- 1pound parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 1/2cups shelled chestnuts (about 1 pound unshelled)
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8teaspoon ground allspice
- 2cups brewed Lapsang-Souchong or other tea
- 4cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2cup half-and-half
- Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add parsnips, chestnuts, salt and allspice; cook 10 minutes.
- Add tea and broth; bring just to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Place one-third of mixture in a blender container. Cover; blend until smooth. Return mixture to a clean saucepan. Repeat with remaining soup. Slowly stir in cream; cook until thoroughly heated.
—Recipe by David Feder
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 230
- Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 350mg
- Carbohydrate 42g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 3g