Chicken Sandwich with Smoky Apple-Chipotle
- Yield servings
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons apple butter
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 4 -- (4 5 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to an even thickness
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 ounces smoked Gouda or cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 4 large hamburger rolls, split and toasted
- -- romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 -- red apple, unpeeled, sliced 1/8 inch thick
In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, apple butter and green onion. Refrigerate until ready to use. In shallow dish, combine brown sugar, salt, chipotle powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and cornmeal. Dredge chicken in mixture, pressing to coat each side.
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. During last few minutes of cooking time, place 1 ounce of cheese and 2 slices bacon on each chicken piece, covering pan until cheese melts.
Spread bottom sides of rolls with the apple mayonnaise; layer with lettuce, chicken and apple slices. Top with a dollop of mayonnaise and bun tops.