Smoked Oyster and Pecan Stuffing
- Yield 14 servings
This rich and flavorful stuffing is a classic accompaniment to a turkey dinner.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 3 -- celery stalks, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -- (3.75-ounce) cans smoked oysters, drained
- 3 cups water or all natural chicken brot
- 2 -- unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- -- Chopped fresh parsley
- 1 -- (16-ounce) package herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Add the celery and cook until crisp-tender and the onion is translucent, about 3 more minutes. Add the garlic and oysters and cook 1 minute (you can break up the oysters a bit while stirring if you prefer smaller pieces). Add the water or broth and butter, raise the heat to high, and bring just to a boil.
- Remove from the heat, add the stuffing mix and pecans, and toss lightly with a fork. Garnish with parsley.
Recipe by Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD, and Liz Weiss, MS, RD. Cofounders, Meal Makeover Moms.com