Smoked Mozzarella and Heirloom Tomato Salad
- Yield 4 servings
Heirloom tomatoes are varieties that were popular years ago and once again are being grown commercially.
- 1 -- (7-ounce) bag mixed field greens
- 2 cups arugula leaves (1 large bunch)
- 2 cups chopped romaine
- 1 -- fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil, stems removed, leaves left whole
- 1 large heirloom tomato, cut into small wedges
- 1/2 pound ball smoked mozzarella, sliced
- 1 -- (19-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- On a large platter, place field greens, arugula and romaine. You can mix them together or place them in piles next to each other. Top with a high pile of fennel in center of salad. Scatter basil leaves around platter. Make a border of tomato wedges around plate. Arrange smoked mozzarella slices around border of plate too, overlapping tomato wedges. Scatter white beans around salad. Just before serving, drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.