Smoked Gouda Green Pea Risotto
- Yield 10 servings
The smoky gouda cheese imparts richness and keeps the texture of this pea risotto extra creamy.
This batch feeds a crowd—and leftovers can be formed into patties, dusted with flour, and pan-fried into delectable risotto cakes.
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups early June peas (can use fresh shelled or frozen)
- 2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- Combine water and vegetable broth in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Keep warm.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions and shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Add salt and white pepper. Add rice, and stir until all the grains are coated. Cook 2 more minutes, allowing the grains to toast. Stir in white wine, a little at a time, until it is absorbed.
- Ladle in warm broth mixture, a few spoonfuls at a time. Stir until all liquid is absorbed. Continue adding broth mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, cooking until absorbed before adding more liquid. Active cooking time is 30 minutes. After 20 minutes, add peas. During the last minutes of cooking, fold in the Gouda. Taste for seasonings, adjust, and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and Third Thursday.