Smoked Corn and Poblano Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
- Smoked Corn:
- 1/2cup wood chips
- 8-- unshucked ears (about) of corn
- 4cups chicken broth
- 4cups milk
- 2-- bay leaves
- 2tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 4ounces bacon, finely chopped
- 2-- onions, chopped
- 4-- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoons salt
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 4-- poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- To prepare the corn, soak the wood chips in water for 2 hours; drain. Pull the corn husks back, leaving the husks attached at the base of the cob. Remove the silk and reposition the husks. Tie the ends together with strips of outer husks or kitchen twine. Soak the corn in cold water in a large container for 10 minutes; drain.
- Sprinkle the wood chips over hot coals. Arrange the corn on the grill rack and grill 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Let stand until cool. Cut the corn kernels into a bowl. The corn should measure 4 cups.
- To prepare the soup, combine the broth, milk, bay leaves and cumin seeds in a medium saucepan. Bring just to a simmer over low heat; do not boil. Remove from the heat and let stand for 20 minutes to infuse.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp and golden brown. Stir in the onions and cook until the onions are tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, salt and ground cumin and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the corn and poblano chiles.
- Strain the broth mixture through a fine strainer into the corn mixture, discarding the solids. Bring to a simmer over low heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Blend the corn mixture using an immersion blender just until the corn begins to break down; the soup should remain chunky. Stir in the parsley and ladle into soup bowls.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Palm Beaches’ Worth Tasting (the Junior League of Palm Beaches, Inc., West Palm Beach, Fl., 2007).