Smoked Cheese Grits
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Try this southern tradition recipe with a smokey twist.
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup stone-ground white grits
- 1/2 cup stone ground yellow grits
- 3/4 cup smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Bring the water, salt and pepper to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the white and yellow grits gradually, whisking constantly until smooth. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Fold in the cheese, whipping cream and butter. Stir in the Tabasco sauce. Adjust the seasonings. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Wilmington’s Seaboard to Sideboard (the Junior League of Wilmington, North Carolina, 1998).