Smoked Cheese Grits
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 4cups water
- 1tablespoon salt
- 1teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1cup stone-ground white grits
- 1/2cup stone ground yellow grits
- 3/4cup smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/4cup whipping cream
- 1/4cup butter
- 1teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Bring the water, salt and pepper to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the white and yellow grits gradually, whisking constantly until smooth. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Fold in the cheese, whipping cream and butter. Stir in the Tabasco sauce. Adjust the seasonings. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Wilmington’s Seaboard to Sideboard (the Junior League of Wilmington, North Carolina, 1998).