Smoked Apple and Butternut Squash Soup
A terrific soup to serve in the fall.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large onions, finely chopped (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (about 6 cups)
- sweet apples, peeled and cut into chunks (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup apple juice (more if necessary)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil and butter in large saucepan; add onions and chili powder; cook and stir until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add squash, apples, apple juice, chicken broth, salt and pepper; bring to boil.
- Cover and cook on low heat until apples and squash are very soft, about 30 minutes. Cool.
- Puree with an immersion blender or a food processor; return to saucepan.
- Add additional apple juice or broth, if needed.
- Garnish with toasted pecans, sour cream swirls and thin apple slices, if desired. Makes about 7 cups.
Upload a photo
You must be logged in to add recipes to your favorites
Login or register here