Smashed Red Bliss Potatoes with Broccoli and Cheddar
- Yield 8 servings
Potatoes and broccoli are cooked in one pan then mashed with butter, milk and cheese.
You can use any butter substitute you wish. Feel free to use the preshredded and premixed cheeses available at supermarkets and whole food stores.
- 4 pounds red bliss potatoes, unpeeled and halved
- Salt, to taste
- 1 head broccoli, stems removed and head chopped into small florets
- 4 tablespoons butter or butter substitute
- 1/2 cup 2 percent milk
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar and jack cheese mixture
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water about 10 minutes until tender. Add broccoli florets to pan and continue to cook 10 minutes. Drain potatoes and broccoli and return to pot. Stir over medium heat 1 minute until excess moisture evaporates; remove from heat. Add 4 tablespoons butter to potatoes and mash well. Add half of the milk and mix, adding more milk gradually to reach desired consistency. Add cheese. Season with salt and pepper.