Smashed Idaho Potatoes with Chorizo
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Chorizo and cheese add lots of flavor to these otherwise traditional mashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled, rough chopped
- 1 cup hard chorizo, chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until soft. Drain and reserve.
- In a nonstick, oven-safe pan, render chorizo until slightly brown. Fold in potatoes and gently smash them with a rubber spatula. Add butter, chives, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Sprinkle potatoes with cheese and immediately place in the oven. Broil for 30 to 45 seconds to brown cheese.
- Garnish with a couple homemade potato chips Serve immediately.
- To make the potato chips, wash 1 large potato, then slice into thin discs on a mandolin. Soak potato discs for 6 hours in 3 parts cold water, 1 part white wine vinegar. Rinse well and pat dry. Fry in oil, preheated to 350F, for 30 seconds to one minute, until golden brown. Make sure the chips do not stick together while frying. Remove and salt immediately.