Smarter Short Ribs
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 130 mins
Boneless shortribs are meaty, they’re easy to trim and often have less fat. If you want to avoid using wine use half beef broth and half water and to remove all of the fat it's best to cook them the day before, let them sit overnight in the refrigerator and remove the fat from the surface.
- 6-- boneless lean cut short ribs (about 1 1/2 pounds) cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1large onion, chopped
- 4cloves garlic, crushed
- 3-- carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1-- rib celery, cut into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 1cup red wine or 1/2 cup beef stock plus 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2teaspoons herbes de Provence
- teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 325F.
Sprinkle the short ribs on all sides with the salt and pepper. Dust with the flour and shake off excess.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over high heat. Add the short ribs and cook, turning occasionally, to brown each side well. Transfer to a plate andset aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high. Add the onions and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the carrots and celery; continue to cook until the vegetables are just beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the wine, tomato paste, and herbes de Provence; bring to a boil.
- Return the short ribs to the pan and spoon the vegetables and sauce over the top of the ribs so that they are covered. Cover the pan, and transfer to the preheated oven and simmer slowly until the meat is very tender, about 2 hours. (Alternatively, you can simmer them on the stove top over medium-low to low heat.)
- Transfer the short ribs to a serving platter, cover with foil, and set aside to keep warm. Let the sauce sit for 5 minutes and then, using a large ladle, remove the fat from top of the sauce and discard. Bring the sauce back to a boil. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Spoon the sauce over the short ribs and serve piping hot!
Recipe courtesy of Tina Salter.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 330
- Glycemic Load 1
- Fat 19g
- Saturated Fat 6g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat 10g
- Cholesterol 65mg
- Sodium 538mg
- Potassium 670mg
- Carbohydrate 10g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 23g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 100%
- Vitamin C 10%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 20%