Smartened Up Chicken Salad
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 0 mins
Perfect for a summer picnic, in a sandwich, or as a light snack in pita bread.
You can vary the flavor by adding apple, pear, or even apricots instead of grapes. A little cumin or curry powder in the dressing adds an international flair.
- 1/2 cup egg-less, vegan, light canola mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon leaves, optional
- -- Butter lettuce or radicchio leaves, for serving
- -- Fresh tarragon leaves, for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon zest, vinegar, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper; whisk well. Add the chicken, walnuts, celery, grapes and green onion; toss to coat.
- To serve, spoon the chicken salad into butter lettuce or radicchio leaves and garnish with a sprinkling of tarragon leaves, and serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of Tina Salter.